1. Toss the meat in seasoned flour.
2. Heat the oil in a large skillet and brown the meat in 2 or 3 batches. Place into a casserole dish.
3. Cook the mushrooms in the pan and then add the sage, tomato puree, ale and stock. Bring to the boil and pour over the beef.
4. Cook in a 325°F preheated oven for 1 hour until the beef is tender. About 15 minutes before the end of the cooking time, add the peppers and cheese. Serve with Blue cheese biscuits.
1. Sift the flour and baking powder into a large bowl; add the salt.
2. Using your fingers, mix in the butter and add most of the cheese, reserving a little to sprinkle on the top of the biscuits. Add the milk and mix well together to form a soft dough.
3. Turn out onto a floured surface and roll out to 3/4″ thickness and cut into 2″ rounds. Place onto a greased baking sheet, top each with a little cheese and cook in a 425°F preheated oven for 10-12 minutes until risen and light golden brown.